WHY AND HOW TO GET A SPONSORED STORY ON INSTAGRAM?
Nowadays, while we only look at the stories – which are photo and/or video content that only appears for 24 hours – of the people we follow on Instagram, we can often see so-called “sponsored” stories appearing in between them.
But, how do they appear so suddenly in front of our eyes?
In this article, you will better understand why these “sponsored stories” exist, who can create them and how.
WHY DO PEOPLE, AND MOSTLY BRANDS CREATE SUCH ADS THESE DAYS?
HOW DO STORIES WORK?
At the beginning, the social media Snapchat was the first one proposing ephemeral and even instantaneous photos and videos that you could share with others.
The stories are meant to last 24 hours, with a limited duration (5 secondes for pictures, up to 120 seconds for videos).
Since a few years, other social media as Instagram and Facebook also implemented the concept of “stories”.
Focusing on sponsored ones, a lot of brands for instance can share very easily their new collections or events in a new, digital and creative way.
Thus, by creating sponsored stories on Instagram, with a well-defined ad campaign, you can directly add a lot of information and links;
- “swipe” links that refers to the one’s website,
- a promotion,
- a form, etc.
Thanks to these, brands and people are able to be as creative as they wish, to attract, interest and engage people, in a few seconds.
And… it’s working! According to a study published in Forbes Magazine in 2018, the more brands use sponsored stories, the more they succeed to reach potential consumers and increase the number of impressions.
For example, brands such as Oreo won a significant growth in ad recognition and ad recall, with a low cost per lead. Other brands in other fiels as L’Oréal Paris Russia earned a similar success!
HOW TO CREATE A SPONSORED STORY ON INSTAGRAM?
Unlike stories that anyone can post from their personal Instagram account (active for 24 hours), sponsored stories on Instagram can run for as long as you want, in many different formats and can be optimized to fit the business purpose of your choice.
All this in a few steps…
Step 1: Link your Instagram account with your Facebook account. Then, select the Facebook Ads Manager and chose the desired creation type (guided or quick) to create the ad.
Step 2: Choose one of the following parameters; Brand Awareness, Coverage, Video Views, Conversions, App Installs, Lead Generation or Traffic.
Step 3: Go to Placements to generate or modify automatic placements. Then, select the desired content form (photo, video, carrousel…).
Step 4: Follow the official further steps available on the Meta for Business website to continue creating your ad campaign.
WHO CAN CREATE SUCH AN AD ON INSTAGRAM?
Well, everybody can do it! You just need a Facebook Ads account, to have a budget and a timeframe.
What an easy and promising option for one’s business!
- Duchesnes, D., “Comment créer des publicités dans les Stories Instagram (et les réussir)”: https://daniloduchesnes.com/blog/publicite-stories-instagram/
- Erskine, R. (2018), “New Research From 200 Top Brands Shows How Effective Instagram Stories Really Are”, Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanerskine/2018/11/16/new-research-from-200-top-brands-shows-how-effective-instagram-stories-really-are/?sh=cafa71d22bb9
- Meta for Business, “Create Instagram Stories Ads in Meta Ads Manager”: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/1639197963055851
- Stelzner, M. (2020), “Instagram Stories Ads: What Marketers Need to Know”: https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/instagram-stories-ads-what-marketers-need-know-susan-wenograd/